Sunday, June 13, 2010

Potty Practice

Notice the hand positioning. He's aware that he needs to push "it" down so that he doesn't make a mess!

It's official, potty training has begun. I wouldn't exactly consider it potty "training" at this point, but more like potty exploration.

I decided to buy Tyler a training potty about a week ago and let him start exploring and experimenting with it. For now, we mainly work with him right before he gets in the shower with us, asking him if he wants to go pee pee on the 'big boy potty'. I was COMPLETELY and UTTERLY SHOCKED when he squatted down and did a little tinkle the first day that we had it. I thought that was the beginning to a cake walk down potty training row. Ha! Not so much. For the remainder of the week, we tried the same thing and, night after night, came up with an empty bowl. Not a big deal. It is a little early on for him to really grasp this concept, but we'll get there.

Friday night, he and David were just about to get in the shower and we asked our routine question. Much to our surprise, Tyler darted to his potty, sat down and stayed hunched over as if he were trying to see in. A few seconds later, he stood up and, OH MY GOD, the bowl had a good amount of urine in it! SUCCESS!!!!! We haven't had the same luck the past 2 nights, but that's alright. Operation Exploratory Potty Practice is underway. And so it goes...

2 comments:

Carson's Mommy said...

Wow!! Congrats Jodi!! So exciting and GO TYLER!!!
I have to be honest, the thought of potty training Carson, scares me. When do you teach them to stand? lol.
Did you see the "pee pee" targets at the baby store?

Kailyn's Mommy said...

Oh boy! I told Chris if we have a boy he potty trains and if it's a girl I will. So I get too! ;-)
Good luck!