Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Demolition Derby

We spent Memorial Day Weekend at a friend's house in Inverness this year. We always have a blast when we go there, but this trip had to be one of the best times I've had there yet. We went airboating, swam in the Spring that the locals refer to as "Big Blue" (I take that back, David & Tyler went in, I only dipped my feet in. It's way too cold for me.), ate lunch at Turner's on the River, attended a BBQ at a very impressive home with a private white sandy beach.....the list could go on and on!



One of the best events of the weekend, in my opinion, were the races "in town" at the Citrus County Speedway. It was our first trip to this Speedway and Tyler's first trip to a Speedway, ever! The main event was the School Bus Figure 8 Race! We got there a little late, but like anything else, they save the best for last. We got to see the car figure 8 race and then 2 fields of school bus figure 8 races. We laughed and laughed and laughed. While it wasn't officially a 'Demolition Derby', some of the drivers acted as if it were. Banging, clanging, even running with 2 flat tires. They didn't care, which made the race even better. I took a short video of the race and trust me, it does no justice. You had to be there. I recommend that everyone see this once in their life. It is a hoot!
We were there for about 2 hours and Tyler didn't make a peep or take his eyes off the track the entire time. He was mesmerized! The last event was a jet car that literally burned another car to the ground as the "grand finale" of the races. Imagine standing next to a single engine jet as it is about to take off. That's how loud it was. I thought it would surely scare Tyler, but consistent with the rest of the night, he didn't budge. He was so intrigued with that, too. Below are a few pictures. I can't wait to take Tyler back to the Speedway! And so it goes...




No comments: