Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Star Light, Star Bright...

Star Light Star bright, The first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, Have this wish I wish tonight.

The next time you find yourself wishing upon a star, you may be wishing upon Tyler's star. For his first birthday, Tyler received one of the most thoughtful and incredible gifts from Kim & Sue Jones....HIS OWN STAR! Now, our little star has a star. Or, is it, our little star is a star? Either way, it is one of the most incredible things I have ever heard of and I am completely intrigued by it.

The star, registered by the International Star Registry of Switzerland and recorded here in the US, is located in the Orion Constellation of the Milky Way Galaxy. Ironically, Orion translates to Hunter. I love that, seeing how Tyler is a Hunter after all! Star Tyler Lane Hunter has it's own stellar coordinates, which is indicated on the Orion Constellation chart as well as the Official Certificate that we received. The star is said to have a magnitude of 12.9, whereas, a magnitude of 6 is the smallest magnitude that can be viewed by the naked eye. Just to put things into perspective for you, the sun has a magnitude of -27. We won't be catching a glimpse of our little star's Star unless we use a super duper telescope to see it.

As new telescopes and instruments bring new discoveries, we now have a star, literally, and a personal stake in this universe. I can't wait to show this to Tyler when he is old enough to comprehend it so that we can research it more. Heck, we might even purchase one of those super duper telescopes at that point and try to find it! Thanks again Kim and Sue! Fascinating! And so it goes...

(Click on images to enlarge)

2 comments:

Carson's Mommy said...

This is one of the most amazing gifts. Someone gave this to us after Geoff's mom passed away. They had a star named after her. It's so special. Tyler is gonna love it one day.

sandy huebner- phillips said...

Very Neat!!!